Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Open Source Gamer

Being a male in my thirties I have been heavily exposed to video games for almost my entire life. Not only to that but to a few generations of male gamers too. From my buddy's who are my age, to their little brothers and of lately my buddy's kids. It does not matter if it is a console or a PC. If the game is that good everyone is going to want to play it. Its just a matter of exposing them to it. I remember one time in my earlier years I watched my brother obsessively play Mike Tyson's Punch Out. He sat in our room for two days straight with no sleep until he completed the entire game..

Guys from all generations are dedicated to their games. Everyone has a favorite. Some guys say they don't play games but these guys have a favorite game too. When no one is looking they will sneak in a game or two. I have seen it at work, at parties and even with some of my friends. It's no secret everyone likes games. I by no means am saying there is no girl gamers out there. I am using life experience viewed through a guy's eyes. So in that spirit I will rephrase.
Everyone loves games...

Being the Open Source advocate that I am. I have always told people about Open Source software or FOSS (Free Open Source Software). Whether it be Abiword for Windows or GNUcash for Linux. I have always had an inclination to comparing Open Source software to most commercial brands. This helped me express my point of its benefits. Not getting off the topic, I am getting ready to answer a standing question. The question I get asked the most when I am expressing the benefits of this software is "How about the games?" Well, taking note of a fair question. I started doing a little investigating. After doing some Google searches with some helpful syntax and checking a few more search engines. I started to catalog a few sites here and there. After a while my bookmarks had accumulated to a very hefty list. Now when people ask me about Open Source games, I always have a few I remember and can recommend. Oh wait, I took it a step further. I created a website. After finally posting the last of my links on my website, it now has links to well over 100 Free Open Source games. I would say it took me just a little over a year and a half. Now I finally have compiled my list and am sharing it with you. I will be adding more links to the site as I am introduced to them.


The Open Source Gamer

No comments: